Juanita's English 6 Blog

Friday, March 28, 2008

Treatment of Native Americans

Task: Assume the role of activists/protestors and research songs that would best depict your position on your assigned topic. Annotate then write a persuasive paragraph and include at least two of the rubric standards.

Healing Songs:
Prayer (from the Navajo healing ceremony called Night Chant)
Tségihi,House made of dawn.

House made of evening light.
House made of the dark cloud.
House made of male rain.
House made of dark mist.
House made of female rain.
House made of pollen.
made of grasshoppers.
Dark cloud is at the door. -->The Bluecoats are coming to the Native Americans.
The trail out of it is dark cloud.
The zigzag lightning stands high upon it.-->Tricked the Native Americans that they were good people.
Male deity!
Your offering I make. --
I have prepared a smoke for you. --
Restore my feet for me. --
Restore my legs for me. -->The Native Americans trusted the bluecoats and wanted help from
Restore my body for me. -- the bluecoats
Restore my mind for me. --
This very day take out your spell for me.
Your spell remove for me.
You have taken it away for me.
Far off it has gone.
Happily I recover.
Happily my interior becomes cool.
Happily I go forth.
My interior feeling cool, may I walk.
No longer sore, may I walk.
Impervious to pain, may I walk.
With lively feeling may I walk
.As it used to be long ago, may I walk.
Happily may I walk.
Happily, with abundant dark clouds, may I walk.
Happily, with abundant showers, may I walk.
Happily, with abundant plants, may I walk.
Happily, on a trail of pollen, may I walk.
Happily may I walk.
Being as it used to be long ago, may I walk.
May it be beautiful before me.
May it be beautiful behind me.
May it be beautiful below me.
May it be beautiful above me.
With it be beautiful all around me.
In beauty it is finished. --> When the blue coats were finished with there healing they left.
By: K. L. Nichols (http://members.cox.net/academia/songs.html)

The author believes that Native Americans know that the blue coats were coming and the blue coats tricked the Native Americans. The blue coats tricked the Native Americans by leading them to think that they are good people but they really are not. The Native American be Friend them and trust the blue coats. When the blue coats got what they needed they left and there friendship ended. The author trusted and befriended the blue coats. There were doing fine until the got what they needed and then the blue coats left. The blue coat left then the Native American had a hard time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home